Monday, December 22, 2008

Oprah's Recent Weight Confession a Familiar One.

I'm not an Oprah follower. I don't keep up on what Oprah does or doesn't do. I know many do. She's got a tremendous following. I will say, Oprah has done some serious good in this life. She's done some wonderful things in the lives of others. And, I believe she's delivered some stories and messages that others weren't brave enough to, messages that needed to be told and heard. For this, I respect her. Oprah has also been very candid about certain things in her own life. Have there been agendas attached to these revelations? Sure. But, I also believe that these confessions are just a part of who Oprah is.

Recently, I came across one such confession and felt compelled to offer some of my own insights. I don't profess to be an expert in weight loss or weight management but having spent most of my career in personal health I have gained some insights into these two very complex areas. I've developed a deep appreciation and respect for those who've embarked on this journey themselves or are contemplating a walk down this path. It's a journey. A journey that requires serious deliberation, planning, recognition of unexpected barriers that lay ahead, and an open mind to unknowns and deviations that will be required...much like an adventurer preparing for an expedition. Most importantly, I believe, a clear understanding and sense of purpose.

Oprah's experiences with personal weight fluctuations are not unlike millions and millions of others around this planet. What does make Oprah's experience a tad more unique is the very false impression that her wealth and personal resources should enable her to find success easier than most. And, really, it's not that unrealistic to think that this combination should allow for a greater possibility of success. If you've got billions of dollars, access to personal chefs, trainers, physicians and a host of other health professionals, how is it possible that Oprah couldn't find 'success' with her weight management goals? Or, to be more specific, that she could only find 'success' for a short period of time? It's very possible. More possible than you'd think. And, Oprah was setting herself up for this dramatic change years ago.

I've got many questions for Oprah and would love an hour question and answer session with her. I know a lot would be learned. Oprah, if you're reading, I do have one question regarding your recent confession. Why now? What's different now compared to a few months ago or even a year ago?

Each one of us no doubt has struggled at some point in our lives with fleeting success as it relates to weight issues, cardiovascular health and endurance, addictive habits, personal life and career fulfillment and a host of other overall health gages. And for the most part, we know that fundamental steps coupled with the correct mindset and carefully structured framework is our best chance for lasting change. I believe Oprah understands this and I believe she probably also understands what changed to bring about her current situation.

Success, be it through weight-loss, addictive behavior change, wealth accumulation, family and personal relationships, finds each one of us at different times and in different ways. And while finding this success most certainly requires work, investment, and perseverance...the work, investment, and maintenance of said found success is where the difference is really discovered.

No comments: