Friday, December 19, 2008

I always look forward to the seasons changing.

I have my own seasonal ritual. I guess you could dub it 'seasonal cleaning' but it's not the seasonal cleaning you might think it is. A few years ago I started seeing an acupuncturist for my back issues. I'd been to a variety of health professionals....doctors, physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists...you name it. And while, yes, I did get some relief for a period of time, it wasn't working for me longer term. And, what I hadn't realized was the extent of the inflammation that was present in my back that desperately needed to be dealt with before the healing process could take place. Circulation was poor, energy pathways impaired, thus muscles were tight and hence, movement restricted. Acupuncture has been a key player in maintaining these specific areas and in my own health maintenance overall. Today I had an appointment and I laughed as I walked in thinking of the first time I asked my acupuncturist how often I should schedule with her. Her reply, "When the seasons change." Needless to say, it wasn't the reply I was expecting but you know what? She's exactly right. I've been on a 'once every 3 months' schedule with her and I can say it's pretty much right in line with when my body feels like it needs the cleansing. Wild stuff.

Today I told her not only do I look forward to my appointments with her from a pain relief standpoint but I look as forward to the time with her from a conversation standpoint. She's a very wise, grounded, optimistic, and motivating individual and I always feel like I walk out of her office with a renewed appreciation for what I'm trying to achieve in life and what's possible.

Today's conversation revolved around what the Chinese dub as '3 Elements of Success':

1] Your own abilities and how you choose to use them. How you choose to improve the 'self'. (This you can control, have influence over.)

2] Where you choose to be/place yourself. Who you choose to be with. (This you can control, have influence over.)

3] Timing. (In the bigger scheme) (You can't control this, nobody can. Much of this has to do with luck. You can certainly try to position yourself in the best way possible so that things align in a positive way when the timing is 'right' but you have no control over timing itself.)

Already looking forward to my next scheduled appointment, March 20th.....the first day of spring. I know I'll leave both mentally and physically cleansed.

No comments: