Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Can one find 'true' health by being a Wii bit fit?

Embarrassing as it is to admit, I will....I've never tried Wii Fit. That's right, never done it. It's true, I work in personal health and wellness and don't have a clue about what Wii Fit provides in terms of a workout or overall 'health makeover'. I can only ascertain based on a few conversations I've had with individuals and now this article. I've been hoping for an opinion piece such as this and here it is, granted, it's just one person's take. Am I surprised at the assessments? No. The analysis seems to be pretty much right on. And I appreciate the honesty. Can one find improved fitness levels using the Wii Fit system. Sure. Can one find peace and solitude using Wii Fit yoga? Sure. Can Wii Fit be as effective as going to a club or gym? You bet. So, is Wii Fit worth the money spent? It's up to you. Simply put, Wii Fit falls into the same category as everything else purchased in the name of 'better health'. Should you be disciplined enough to stay the course for the long haul and put in the necessary effort, you'll inevitably reap the benefits. The key is in the foundation and the discipline. I'll contend that the difference is where the mindset rests and if true behavior change can be realized and maintained. For many, the 'late night fitness infomercial' is the catalyst that puts them over the top. (Cue the ab roller, buns of steel, gazelle, and countless others..) I would place Wii Fit into this same class when looking at the 'bigger picture'. The fun factor is there, the new approach is there, the intentions are there. Whether the sustained results in weight-loss and other health metrics important to you will eventually be there, only time will tell. For the $90 or so price tag, it may not matter to you. And that's cool too. If it provides quality bonding time with friends and family, that's important to health as well. And, who knows, it just may be the catalyst that starts a positive personal health trend.

I recently took the opportunity to write the Obama administration with my own analysis of the state of personal health and wellness in this country and what I believed should be included in efforts to help curb the negative trend. I'll be expanding on this in a later post. But the bulk of my letter was based on our abilities to influence, teach, and encourage our youth in ways that lead to better decision-making and habits later in life regarding personal health. And, I believe, that sustained healthy movement, in whatever form, at a young age can and does make a profound difference. Times have changed from when I was a kid. Options for kids have changed. I do think gaming devices like Wii Fit fit are a step in a positive direction and can play a role.

I'm interested in your thoughts...Do you have a Wii Fit? Do you use it? Has it made a difference in any way? Do you think it'll eventually get 'old' and become a dust collector? Do you have kids that use it and if so, does it hold their attention for long?

It'll be interesting to follow up on Scott Owens' (Exercise Science at the University of Mississippi) six month study to see what he uncovers. I'll post his assessment when it comes out.

As for me....well, I'm off to bowl a few Wii frames..

No comments: